Sunday, December 21, 2014

Error Message Reading PDF Document with Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management



Recently I was trying to open a PDF file of my transcript and I continued to receive the following warnings and errors:

1.  If you open this document, anonymous usage data will be sent securely to this remote server:  lc01.parchment.com.  To learn more about what this means for you, please click on the 'Privacy and Security' button.

2.  This computer must be connected to the network in order to open this document.  Connect this computer to the network and then try opening the document again.

I tried everything -- from installing my other adobe products, to installing Adobe Reader to a different drive from OS, and nothing seemed to work.  I uninstalled and re-installed and re-imaged my computer and turned off my firewall.  Nothing worked.

But then, I figured it out!  I had disabled non-FIPS compliant encryption algorithms in my local security policy settings.  To fix it, all I had to do was go to the windows start button and type "Local Security Policy" and then enter.  Then I navigated in the left pane to Local Policies --> Security Options and then from the right frame, I selected, System cryptography: Use FIPS 140 compliant cryptographic algorithms, including encryption, hashing and signing algorithms and changed this from Enabled to Disabled.  After applying the changes by clicking OK and exiting the Local Security Policy manager, I was able to open up the transcript with no problem. 

One thing to note, however, is that you have to open up these types of protected Adobe documents with Adobe Reader, not Adobe Acrobat Pro.  I was using Adobe Reader XI Version 11.0.10.

1 comment:

  1. This post is from very long ago, but I am having this same issue in July 2022. I changed the setting and it has not worked for me, unfortunately. My other local settings seem to match yours. Do you have any additional thoughts? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete